While we hoped we’d soon be seeing the last of COVID-19, that’s turned out to not be the case as it continues to circulate in our area. As such, we continue to take certain measures here at the library to ensure the safety of both our patrons and staff.
Current measures are:
- While we do not require face masks, we do ask that you wear one while inside the main library.
- Bathrooms remain closed to the general public. Understand that if you are in a dire need of restroom facilities for yourself or your children, we will certainly accommodate you. However, we are keeping the restrooms closed in order to encourage people to have a “short stay” in the library.
- Access to public computer workstations remains limited. We have eight operational computers currently (due to social distancing guidelines). Computer time limit is one hour per day.
- We are no longer quarantining materials. You may bring materials inside during normal library hours to return them.
- We gladly still provide curbside service. Call us ahead of your visit (382-3216) and we will check materials out and bring them to you when you arrive at the library. You may view our complete catalog on our website, here.
- Again, best practice, if you come in the library, is for you to complete your business in a timely and efficient manner and exit the building.
We continue to ask for your patience and understanding and we hope very soon we’ll be able to open the library fully to the public.
Our library was recently selected to take part in an Alabama Public Library Service (APLS) initiative that will provide five (5) wi-fi hotspots for our patrons to check out. We’re excited to be a part of this initiative and will offer more details when we have the devices in hand.
Despite COVID-19, we do have an active fall planned here at the library and we’re kicking it off in September.
- First, September is National Library Card Sign-Up Month. Bring your child by this month to get a library card and pick-up a special Pete the Cat bookmark and sticker. Also, September is the last month we will be waiving all fine and library card replacement fees, so be sure and take advantage while available.
- From Sept. 7 to Sept. 11, we will host a special poster exhibit produced by the 9/11 Memorial & Museum. The 14 posters depict the events and aftermath of 9/11 through stories and images. When you stop by the library, please be sure and take an opportunity to see this stirring group of photographs, reproduced from the 9/11 Memorial & Museum’s archives. In the future, we plan on offering these posters as a traveling exhibit for any school or other organization who wishes to display them.
- In honor of children’s author Roald Dahl’s birthday (Charlie and the Chocolate Factor, The BFG, Matilda), we’ll be offering Willie Wonka-inspired candy bag treats to children on Monday, Sept. 13. Stop by, check out a Dahl book, and pick up a treat bag!