Greenville-Butler County Public Library
Job Description: Part-Time Circulation Clerk
Hours: Part Time; avg. 15-20 hours per week
The Circulation Clerk of the Library will be responsible for a variety of circulation and clerical procedures with a concentration of public contact.
Reports to the Library Director. There is a three-month probationary period.
Performs all circulation desk duties using computerized system
- Check materials in/out/renew materials
- Reserve materials for patrons
- Collects fees and fines daily
- Issues new patron cards/updates cards
Performs all opening/closing procedures in work area/public areas
- Turn on/off all computers/copiers/printers
- Empty book drops
- Turn on/off lights
Other Job Specific Duties
- Notifies patrons about reserved materials
- Answers phone and routes calls as necessary
- Performs basic reference work
- Assists patrons in locating materials through the OPAC (On-line Public Access Catalog)
- Maintains magazine display and catalogs older magazines
- Assists with library programs and displays; registration, signs, crafts, book lists, etc.
- Assists with book orders
- Enters received materials into on-line catalog and processes for circulation
- Withdraws, and repairs materials as needed or directed
- Shelves materials
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Library Director
Training, Skills, Experience
Completion of high school education and previous work experience indicative of ability to work independently on support staff functions requiring many skills. Basic knowledge of general office procedures. Basic knowledge of standard library equipment (i.e. typewriter, automated circulation system, public access computers, computers, etc.). Ability to communicate effectively and courteously; ability and desire to serve the public of all ages; and ability to work as a team member.
Resumes can be brought to the library’s circulation desk, or be emailed to: email@example.com. Interested applicants should also complete a GBCPL job application, available at the circulation desk.